Sermon Follow Up - Week 13, 2022
“I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know Timothy’s proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also. I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need, for he has been longing for you all and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill. Indeed he was ill, near to death. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. I am the more eager to send him, therefore, that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious. So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men, for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me.” (Philippians 2:19–30 ESV)
SGC Dayton will experience real joy through humble servants living in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.
1. Two Examples to Observe
2. Three Observations that Serve to Describe these Humble Servants
- Humble Servants are Content with Being Ordinary
- Humble Servants are Unafraid of Expressing Love for Other Believers
- Humble Servants Sacrifice Everything for the Sake of the Gospel
3. Two Obstacles to Overcome
- A Failure to Understand and Apply the Gospel to Our Own Heart
- A Resolute Determination to Remain Safe and Secure
- What obstacles do you encounter in your own heart and mind as you strive to cultivate the qualities in your life that we see in Timothy and Epaphroditus?
- Who is an example to you of “living in a a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ?” How can you honor servants like these? How does their example encourage you to grow in your own faith? Take time to communicate encouragement to that person, or persons.
- Find a brief biography of a Christian from history to read or listen to. Some suggestions are below.
- Get together with one of our older members. They have a story...and it's worth listening to.
Music - Psallos Recording - Philippians
- Missions - Christian Heroes Then and Now (Book and Audio) - The link is for Amazon purchases, but you might try your local library, Hoopla, or Dayton Metro Library system for free Kindle and Audio downloads.
- Missions - Dispatches from the Front (Videos) - (Use password "mission")
- Church History - 21 Servants of Sovereign Joy (Book) - Compelling stories from Church History
- Examples of those enduring Suffering (Website with plentiful resources)
"Out of the Box" read - Learn some foundational truths regarding how to live in a manner worthy of the gospel.
More in From the Pastors
March 6, 2023A Compelling Community of Christians
February 21, 2023Sermon Follow Up - Week 9, 2023
January 15, 2023Sermon Follow Up - Week 3, 2023