Sermon Follow Up - Week 20, 2022
“The Lord is at hand." (Philippians 4:5b ESV)
Experiencing the powerful, intimate, joy-inducing, relational presence in the everydayness of our lives is the privilege of all who hope in Christ.
1. The Presence of the Lord Undergirds the Storyline of the Bible
God’s intentions for the span of history, from the beginning of creation until its final consummation, is to dwell among a people spatially, physically, personally whom he has made his own. Take time to listen to the first half of the sermon for a refresher and overview.
2. The Presence of the Lord is a Blessing for All Who Trust in Him
- The Relational Presence of the Lord Gives us a Sense of Peace. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (John 14:27 ESV)
- The Relational Presence of the Lord provides comfort in times of trouble or anxiety. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10 ESV)
- The Relational Presence of the Lord Gives us a Sense of Protection. “But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” (Isaiah 43:1–2 ESV)
The Relational Presence of the Lord Gives us a Sense of Refreshing Joy. “For David says concerning him, “‘I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;” “…You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’” (Acts 2:25, 28 ESV)
“Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord…” (Acts 3:19–20 ESV)
Three ways to position yourself to experience the presence of the Lord. Listen to the last 10 minutes of the sermon to hear more.
- Prioritize the Sunday Celebration Service
- Pursue the Filling of and Gifts of the Spirit
- Practice a Life of Personal and Corporate Prayer
Psallos Recording - Philippians