Sermon Follow Up - Week 9, 2023
"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.” (John 20:19-23 ESV)
Big Idea: We participate in the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ as those sent by Jesus himself and empowered by his Spirit to save and mature those who are his.
- God has a mission. (John 20:21a)
- We are being sent into his mission (John 20:21b-22)
- Some will be saved as we participate in this mission, and some will not. (John 20:23)
REFLECTION AND APPLICATION QUESTIONS
- What is God's mission? How is that different than our mission as Christians?
- What relationships and situations are you already in where you could make efforts to introduce others to Christ or to help them grow in knowing and obeying him?
- In what ways may God be calling you to participate in his mission for the first time? (relationships that you don't already have, ways in which you're not already making disciples).
- Why does it matter that you have the promised Holy Spirit in you as you set out on the mission of making disciples?
- Where might you need boldness or fruther equipping to move forward in helping other know and follow Christ?
More in From the Pastors
March 6, 2023A Compelling Community of Christians
February 21, 2023Sermon Follow Up - Week 9, 2023
January 15, 2023Sermon Follow Up - Week 3, 2023